Author Topic: Need help with translation  (Read 2495 times)

davidelmejor

• V.I.P.s
Need help with translation
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »
Hey guys.
I ´ve got one problem with this text from a medic study "Our results support previous hypotheses that some combinations of mutated genes in the RAS-MAPK and PI3K-AKT signaling pathways represent mutually exclusive events"
Does this mean that RAS or MAPK can only appear together and never with PI3K or AKT?

C420 PROTOTYPE20

Re: Need help with translation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »
Hey guys.
I ´ve got one problem with this text from a medic study "Our results support previous hypotheses that some combinations of mutated genes in the RAS-MAPK and PI3K-AKT signaling pathways represent mutually exclusive events"
Does this mean that RAS or MAPK can only appear together and never with PI3K or AKT?
I'm not pioneer in that but it's has something with cancer to do i guess Although multiple members of the phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase pathway (PI3K) are targeted by germline or somatic mutations, functional mutations in the three akt isoforms have proven elusive. This is somewhat surprising, as AKT represents a key node in the PI3K pathway, exhibiting transforming activity when incorporated into the AKT8 retrovirus. A recent report in Nature identifies a transforming E17K PH domain mutation in akt1 in breast (8%), colorectal (6%), and ovarian (2%) cancers. E17K-akt1 transforming activity appears due to PtdIns(3,4)P2- and PtdIns(3,4,5)P3-independent recruitment of AKT1 to the membrane

Doom-Priest

• Moderators & Server admins
  • Elite member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
Hey guys.

It means that you cant get RAS-MAPK & PI3K-AKT togheter at once (dunno what this is about).

It doesnt say that other combinations can though (RAS-AKT & PI3K-MAPK for example. (if it is even possible lol))

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutually_exclusive_events

davidelmejor

• V.I.P.s
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 12:05:58 AM »
It means that you cant get RAS-MAPK & PI3K-AKT togheter at once (dunno what this is about).

It doesnt say that other combinations can though (RAS-AKT & PI3K-MAPK for example. (if it is even possible lol))

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutually_exclusive_events
Thank you Doom you helped me, my English level is so poor since i don t come here as usually as I used to do.

Doom-Priest

• Moderators & Server admins
  • Elite member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:09:46 AM »
No problem :)

davidelmejor

• V.I.P.s
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »
That sentence was a part from a medic study, and i had to make a work about that study. I´ve exhibited today and all went so good.
 :cool: