Author Topic: channel on router..  (Read 1051 times)

Chichainator

• Bacon.
  • Elite member
channel on router..
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
Couldnt really keep my promise at being active on the forums, but i have a question:

I recently reset my router, cuz i forgot the password you enter when you get to 192.168.1.1 ...
anyways i want to set the channel of the router (from 1-13, @ 802/b/g @ 2.4ghz.) and i noticed how channel 1 was 0.1 ghz ''slower'' than channel 13..
well i just want to know, what does the channel thing do and.. well yeah.. i guess i just need to know what it does...
lol

KiLL3R

• Administrator
  • Elite member
Re: channel on router..
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
Channels separate wireless devices by making them use slightly different frequencies, if a lot of devices are using the same channel then there will be a lot of interference with each other resulting in shorter range, slower speed and increased ping.

To choose the best channel, see what devices are using what channels around you (use NetStumbler to see what channels things are using).

If most of the devices are using channels 1 - 6 then you would pick channel 11, 12 or 13.

Use this to help with what channels to use
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b%2Cg_WLAN%29.svg

The frequency of each channel has no effect on performance/range ect.

TheBoxNoob

• ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀ TBN ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
  • Retired zombieX Admin
  • Elite member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
I have a little Router thing too, i bought the laptop and looked up the MAC adress by Ipconfig/all then idk wich one to choose.

i tried one adress that i see 3 times for LAN somewhere idk where exactly :p

i copied that on my router to make it allow it, refreshed it but i can't get acces to the internet =(

The Box Noob

KiLL3R

• Administrator
  • Elite member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »
Quote from: TheBoxNoob;35181
I have a little Router thing too, i bought the laptop and looked up the MAC adress by Ipconfig/all then idk wich one to choose.

i tried one adress that i see 3 times for LAN somewhere idk where exactly :p

i copied that on my router to make it allow it, refreshed it but i can't get acces to the internet =(

The Box Noob

Make it allow all MAC addresses and use WPA2 with a good password.

Chichainator

• Bacon.
  • Elite member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »
Quote from: KiLL3R;35170
Channels separate wireless devices by making them use slightly different frequencies, if a lot of devices are using the same channel then there will be a lot of interference with each other resulting in shorter range, slower speed and increased ping.

To choose the best channel, see what devices are using what channels around you (use NetStumbler to see what channels things are using).

If most of the devices are using channels 1 - 6 then you would pick channel 11, 12 or 13.

Use this to help with what channels to use
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b%2Cg_WLAN%29.svg

The frequency of each channel has no effect on performance/range ect.

so that means if i ahve 5 devices in my house that use wlan, then i have to make another channel or do you mean that if there is say 5 routers in my area, then take a channel that is more unique to the other ones (so if in my area there are routers that use channels 1,3,2,5,6 then my router should be channel 11 or 12.
am i right?

TheBoxNoob

• ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀ TBN ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
  • Retired zombieX Admin
  • Elite member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Quote from: KiLL3R;35185
Make it allow all MAC addresses and use WPA2 with a good password.

Got it working now ty

The Box Noob

KiLL3R

• Administrator
  • Elite member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
Quote from: xMADxLAMERx;35205
so that means if i ahve 5 devices in my house that use wlan, then i have to make another channel or do you mean that if there is say 5 routers in my area, then take a channel that is more unique to the other ones (so if in my area there are routers that use channels 1,3,2,5,6 then my router should be channel 11 or 12.
am i right?

The second part (in bold) is correct

Chichainator

• Bacon.
  • Elite member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
Quote from: KiLL3R;35220
The second part (in bold) is correct

kay thanks

hakouz

• ☢☠☢
  • V.I.P.s
  • Elite member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »
I have a small problem with my router, it is Belkin N+ and each day for only once i lose the connection and have to restart the router. It is no a big problem but it make me cry when i am playing ZomX with a good points :D

Any idea what causes this problem?

thx